Monday, October 27, 2008

Teacher's Domain

I watched several of the videos on the Teacher Domain website. I watched a couple of videos from each group: K-5th, 6th-8th, and 9th-12th. I really liked this site because it featured many educational video clips, but they were a very manageable length. You were able to find a topic that interested you (one I choose was the coral reef) and it gave a very concise, yet informative account of that topic. The information was very clear and easy to understand and it was no problem for me to watch several of them and not feel bombarded with information but to feel like I learned something new. I also liked the way they tailored the podcasts for the appropriate grade levels. The K-5 were much more elementary than the upper level grades, as would be expected.

I think this podcast would be very beneficial for use in a classroom. As I said before the length makes it very manageable to watch in class. Perhaps a teacher could use it when teaching a lesson about a certain podcast topic or maybe just play one each day even if it doesn't pertain to the lesson. They could just serve as a daily clip to broaden students' knowledge. I think the length would also keep the students from getting bored. Even if a topic is interesting, I think students can get distracted easily if something goes on too long. These clips were a great length to maintain attention.

This could also serve as a way teachers could get students to work outside of the classroom. Perhaps students could choose a podcast of particular interest to them and choose to write a response to it. They could watch their respective clip, do a little bit of additional research and bring in a paper detailing what they learned from the podcast.

1 comment:

Ms.Quinones said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for the great write-up on Teachers' Domain. It is a great resource for the classroom, and using tools such as "My Folders" and "My Groups" are great for assigning work. They allow teachers to save resources into a folder, and create a group to share it with their students.
Teachers' Domain visualizations really help visual learners understand key concepts and reinforce learning in the classroom. We're glad you enjoyed our resources and hope they continue to benefit your students!

Daniella,
Teachers' Domain Team in Boston