Sunday, November 16, 2008

Podcasting

I have listened to many podcasts but I never thought I would actually be doing one myself. This semester proved this to be false. I was really nervous about doing a podcast since I have never done anything like it before. However, I really enjoyed it. I thought my group really did a good job and we covered our topic thoroughly, using our personal experiences at South.

After listening to my own podcast and several others I thought everyone did an excellent job, especially since I would imagine this was the first time for many of us. There are always things you can improve upon and I think the same applies here. I know for a couple of podcasts I had difficulty hearing certain individuals while others were very clear. I am not sure if this was because their voices were too soft or if they were too far from the microphone. Maybe those who have a weaker voice should sit closer to the microphone so the listener doesn't have to strain to hear it. Some also had a good bit of background noise which didn't really bother me but some might find it distracting.

A few other suggestions I thought about were not really problems with the podcasts but just additional techniques that could be attempted. All of the podcasts I listened to had three speakers. Some of my favorite radio and podcast programs have more people participating. Maybe a couple of groups could try using four or five individuals (more than that would probably be a little much). You could get more opinions and perhaps achieve more of a natural discussion if you have more voices. I also thought it might be interesting to get a little bit of constructive arguing going on some of the podcasts. Most of the groups seemed to be in complete agreement on their topic (which again is fine) but maybe you could pair up some people who had slightly different views and have them discuss it in a podcast. I know some people don't like confrontation, especially if it is taped for posterity, but some good-natured disagreement can make topics very interesting.

This was a really good project and I feel like I learned some things I would like to use in my classroom. Though I will admit I am relieved I will not be doing a video podcast, I would be interested to see them next semester. That would allow students the added element of being able to give their audience visuals of what they are talking about. I think podcasting is a great project and you should continue it with future students. It is always nerve-racking doing something new but it makes you more well-rounded and you are usually glad you did it when it is over.

No comments: